Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Lucky to be Alive



As you can see above, I had quite a unique Friday. We were on our way to New Orleans when we decided to make a stop in Orange, TX at a gas station to get some snacks for the remainder of the trip. We then proceeded to get back on the road. While waiting at the stop light, a Ford F150 being driven by a drunken idiot, slammed into us at nearly 60 mph.

I was knocked unconscious and do not remember the actual impact. I had been sitting in the passenger side back seat just seconds prior to impact when my friend who was driving asked me to get his stick of beef out of the bag that was behind him. Had I not been leaning over the driver side of the car I most probably who not be making this post at this time.

Aside from a knee and head injury, I was, for the most part, ok. In fact, all of us in the car escaped with relatively few injuries considering the carnage of the wreck. We are truly very lucky. I want to thank all of my friends and family who have been so great. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. I was truly lucky to have walked away from that in as good of shape as I did. Special thanks to Christine who drove up and picked us up from the hospital and refused to let the crash ruin our trip to New Orleans. And also special thanks to Andrew for asking me to grab his beef stick for him.

This was the drunk drivers SECOND dwi. Hopefully he goes to jail for a long time.

3 comments:

mariposa said...

amazing story. Glad you walked away to tell this....


from a stranger,
mariposa

Unknown said...

It was a f250. Get your facts straight, buddy.

jking.

<3 you. sorry i was kind of bitchy when i wanted yall to continue on... i just knew we'd have tons of GOOD memories instead of just this horrible accident for this weekend.

m1ke said...

Ya it was a good call to continue on.

My Amazon.com Wish List