Monday, January 19, 2009

Dropping some science



So yesterday, I went hiking at Brazos Bend State Park and walked a whopping 7 miles! That alone is worthy of a single blog post. But as an added bonus, I will explain some rather interesting science that I dropped on my friends while on our trip.

Now, everyone knows that the sun is hot. We also know that standing in the sun (or even under a completely shaded area, apparently) will generally result in a nasty sunburn. What you may not know, is that this phenomenon will only occur in the summer time. That's right, you cannot get a sun burn in the winter. I will now attempt to demonstrate visually why this is true. Please examine exhibit A: (note: images not to scale or any other kind of geographical reality.)



Notice how during the summer months, the axis of the earth is such that the norther hemisphere receives a direct hit from the light of the sun. Keep in mind that while it is summer in the northern hemisphere it is winder in the southern. As you can plainly see, the rays of light from the sun only barely glance over the southern hemisphere and the people living there will therefore not get sun burned. I welcome any scientist to come along and challenge my theory.

The mythbusters are also welcome to attempt to prove me wrong. I have all the evidence in my favor! Even after nearly 3 hours of walking (and assurances by a few of my friends that I would indeed be sunburned) I woke up this morning to a non-sunburned face. As the folks over at xkcd say: "Science: it works, bitches!".

"I seriously doubt that, Sir, but this is America and I would die for your right to make outrageous claims."
- Bill McNeal

3 comments:

Unknown said...

w/e.

you're just lucky. i bet some of my sunscreen wafted off on you.

m1ke said...

@ christine

sunscreen does not work that way!

BDGR said...

sunburn is possible whenever UV rays are present--that is, between dawn & dusk
every
single
day.

but i know you know this. or i hope to god you do. i can't really tell, sometimes.

My Amazon.com Wish List