Friday, January 30, 2009

My late night commercial



Everybody once in a while will see one of those advertisments on late night tv and think to themselves, "hey, that's a pretty cool thing." Most of the time, that is as far as it goes because most people are generally sagacious and realize that the product must be junk since it is not sold in stores. So you can imagine my surprise when I found out recently that people are buying one particular item in droves, the snuggie.

Most of the garbage that is "as seen on tv" are mostly niche items for people who like crazy, unique junk to fill the empty gaps in their lives. Things such as the chia pet, that grabber arm for lazy asses, and, of course, robot insurance. All of those things are items that, for the most part, can not be purchased any where else. I am going to save my thoughts on the shamWOW for another post, but you get my drift.

The snuggie does not seem to fit into that category, because it is basically a robe that you put on backwards. I know I am really blowing some of your minds right now... Some of you who purchased the product might be saying to your monitor right now "lolz but mike this is more than a robe, I can hold mah fone and cuddle with mah children!". The thing is a glorified robe/blanket and yet, 4 million people have purchased it. The product isn't even made in Germany! It is truely shocking that in this economy people are buying something for $19.99 plus $7 shipping that can be purchased in the Beyond section of Bed Bath and Beyond for 5 bucks.

Please, please, please, if you take away nothing from this post, just remember that the snuggie is a ROBE. Not even a full robe! You are paying money for half a robe with no pockets!

I, for one, am going to hold out and wait for the Snuggie/ShamWOW hybrid. I can just picture the commercial now. Vince will come out and makes us feel silly for spending 200 bucks a month for robes AND towels. Billy Mays will start yelling at us. And finally, Ron Popeil will throw in a free knife set if we offer to tell just three of our friends about the product.

Can we please turn on the LHC already? I'm not sure if humanity can take waiting till 2012.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha. I still want one. :D

Jackie said...

I'm sorry...have you not seen the "Extenz" infomercial? As if the Snuggie one wasn't convincing enough. Watch this one and tell me it's not more "fun".

PortaPocket said...

Hi Mike - a way to carry all yuor important items ON yourself, with or w/o a Snuggie...just was on Tonight Show with Jay Leno last week -- PortaPocket.
Chk it out at www.portapocket.com
LOVE IT!
:)
Kendra

My Amazon.com Wish List