Monday, February 2, 2009

Mightier than the sword



No, I am not talking about Pens. We're talking about shoes. Mainly the fact that several would be protestors are turing to them to get their message across. This has happend twice recently. First some crazy guy threw a shoe at then current President Bush while at a press conference in Iraq. And today when some other crazy guy threw a shoe at Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao at a press conference in the UK.

I guess I am just wondering why this seems to be the new way of expressing outrage at a certain individual. I suppose it is a bit less extreme than lighting yourself on fire. But for some reason, I think that the people who decide to go this route of protest think that it is some sort of ultimate shame to have a shoe thrown at you.

What they seem to not grasp, however, is that we and most other parts of the civilized world don't really give a damn about shame anymore. I mean look at Lindsey Lohan for crying out loud. The poor girl wouldn't know shame if the entire world laughed at her at the same time while she cried and cried about not being able to get a first class seat on an airline. You think throwing a shoe at her is going to make her feel embarassed?

I digress, my point is that protesters need to liven it up a bit. Throwing a shoe at an important person might get a clip on the "and before we go tonight" segment of CNN. However, throwing Lindsey Lohan at someone, would be in tabloids, talk shows, coffee shops, water cooler chat, internet blogs and parody commercials. You know, the stuff people really watch. Everyone would be thinking "haha that guy is going to have to take a lot of showers to get all that Lindsey Lohan off him."

Protestors have gone soft and it is time to liven it up a bit for our amusement. I'm ready to see some truly humorous and unique forms of protest. Throwing washed up celebrites at important peole is one of several things I want to see before I die.

I am not really sure how to wrap up this post, so I will just just post a picture of a silly koala bear.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the koala is awesome.

love,
christine.

My Amazon.com Wish List